Greenstone vs. Minong?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mrsc
NewbieCake

Greenstone vs. Minong?

Post by mrsc »

My husband and I are going to Isle Royale in August, and we're going to backpack from Windigo to Rock Harbor.

We definitely plan to hike on the Minong Ridge trail from Todd Harbor to McCargoe Cove, but we're not sure if we should start from Windigo on the Greenstone or Minong. We're experienced backpackers and we travel light. In general, we're willing to work a little harder to get better views vs. easier hiking and lots of trees. I know it will be a long day from Windigo to N. Desor on the first day, but it's doable, right? We'll be arriving on the Voyageur from Grand Portage and starting our hike that day. Are the views from the Minong that much better than the Greenstone for that first stretch? If it's rainy that day, would your advice change?

Any insights would be appreciated. We've never been to this part of the country and we're very excited. This message board had been incredibly helpful with our planning!

~mrsc
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Greenstone vs. Minong?

Post by Tom »

Well, it's certainly doable and others have gone before you. I will say that I'd probably consider the Windigo-Desor North stretch perhaps the hardest section of trail the Isle has to offer. It's up, it's down, it's up, it's down (repeat another 10 or 15 times); it's rocky, it's wet, it crosses water, and, oh yeah, it's long.
That being said, it offers some tremendous views. There are a few points where you're up atop a rocky ridge looking down all around you. It also means that your second day (Toward Little Todd) is almost entirely atop rocky ridge, travelling cairn to cairn.
The Greenstone, on the other hand, from Windigo to Desor South is nearly completely covered in a canopy of trees. I can only think of a few places where you break out to a view or vista. It's also a superhighway of a trail; fairly soft soil on the feet, easily tread, with bridges and planks in the rough spots.
Both have something to offer. I liked your question about if it was rainy, would my advice change... And I'd say, Yes, I think it would. If you're sailing into Windigo and it's rainy, or storms are predicted, the dense Maples of the Greenstone would actually offer quite a bit of rain protection. I can recall once hiking on the Greenstone approaching Island Mine, and it was a fairly heavy rain, but under the canopy we could hardly notice. On the Minong, you'd be soaked for sure, and the rocky trail makes it REALLY tricky when wet. Plenty of chances to make a ankle-twisting trip-ruining mistake, and there is little or no protection if the storm gets rough.
The last part of the Minong, FWIW (Todd Harbor to McCargoe) is more 'Greenstone' like and is in my opinion the easiest stretch to hike. Only one ugly (and not that bad) water crossing that I recall.
Good luck with the trip planning!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I agree with everything Tom said. Those rocks can get mighty slickery in and after rains. It's a long stretch from Washington Creek to Desor Lake. But then your toughest day is done first. And the views are all worth it. And so is the breeze on the ridgetop. Lovely lovely walk.

Here are some pics of our walk from McCargoe to Windigo last year: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563981397NkCwkL

Have a great time.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

I agree with the advice given so far. The Minong has much better views, but you will work for it! The Greenstone coming out of Wendigo is an easy stroll through the woods, but views are few & far between.

I don't think I'd change my advice for rain on the first day, but I'd use hiking poles (or whatever sticks are laying around) for help on the rocky parts if it is wet. Shoot, I'd probably use them if it were dry! :wink:

My favorite Minong campsite is Little Todd. Fabulous rocky beach! Todd is pretty cool too, especially if you can find your way to the falls.
mrsc
NewbieCake

Post by mrsc »

Thank you so much for your replies - this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I have been using hiking poles for years (hiking in northern Vermont one year convinced me of their usefulness), and my husband became a convert last summer, so we'll have them with us, rain or shine.

Our last few trips have been to national parks that require you to lock in your itinerary months in advance, and you can't really change your mind once you're on the trail. It will be nice to be able to change our plans depending on weather, how we're feeling, etc. August can't come soon enough!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The Minong is a blast, with gorgeous views, as mentioned. It's an ass-kicker, however, but if you're in relatively good shape and have a decent pack weight, you'll be perfectly content. The 13 mile stretch from Windigo to Desor is painful, but after that, it's all downhill from there.

Here's pictures from when we did it back in 2006: http://picasaweb.google.com/fonixmunkee ... aleMay2006#
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I recall someone posted a bunch of GPS waypoints. In the list, they mentioned two spots along the Minong between North Desor and Windigo. I know IR doesn't promote them, but if you were tired, would you be allowed to just pull over and set up camp?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

philranger wrote:I recall someone posted a bunch of GPS waypoints. In the list, they mentioned two spots along the Minong between North Desor and Windigo. I know IR doesn't promote them, but if you were tired, would you be allowed to just pull over and set up camp?
As long as you plan out where you will be stopping, and it is not in a sensitive area like a loon nesting ground, you just need to get a backcountry permit. I've never done it myself, but I understand that there is no extra fee for this (maybe someone else who has done this can chime in), but you need to know in advance pretty much where you will be stopping, which defeats the "stop when you're tired" thing.

Of course, if you were to break a leg it isn't reasonable to expect that you'll stay on your planned schedule ... :-)
jkahler
NewbieCake

Post by jkahler »

I think if you wanted to start on the Minong you might want to spend the night in Washington Creek first and then get an early start the next morning.

I just did a stretch of the Minong a few days ago (hatchet lake to little todd, n.desor, wash creek) and it was a little slippery in the rain but not too bad. The last day was brutal, but my gear was wet, I was tired, almost out of food, etc.

Either way you win, as both of the sections of the Greenstone and Minong were awesome, I found the Minong to be more of what I was looking for in terms of solitude, wildlife, and ruggedness.