May 2009 itinerary (first paddle of IR!)

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

May 2009 itinerary (first paddle of IR!)

Post by fonixmunkee »

Every year, a small group of friends and I have made our way to IR for an early-season hike. We've been doing it for 5 years, and I think we've covered most of the island on foot. Now, we're taking it to the next level: we're going to try and paddle.

I've done the BWCA once, paddled a canoe plenty, and also done some kayaking. Two of my other friends have done plenty of BWCA, kayaking, and canoeing as well. The last one is afraid of boats, but is willing to give this a shot :P . So because of our limited experience, we're going to try and stick inland to get our feet wet on padding IR (pun intended). As of now, we plan on renting a couple kevlar canoes from somewhere (my canoe is an old fiberglass one and is waaaay to heavy).

We plan on going tentatively from the 23rd of May to the 28th of May, and plan on doing the McCargoe to Chippewa paddle. This goes from McCargoe, to Chicken Bone, to Intermediate Lake, to Siskiwit, ending at Chippewa. We may toss in a trip to Malone if we can.

So the immediate questions we have are:

- Is the ice out of the inland lakes by the end of May?
- Is this doable in 5 days?
- Is there anything we should skip or stay for on this paddle?
- Any other general observations or inputs?

Be gentle, I'm a new to this whole paddling thing...and thanks in advance for your replies!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: May 2009 itinerary (first paddle of IR!)

Post by Ingo »

Great Fonix! No sure about Duluth/Superior proper, but the only place on the North Shore I found to rent canoes is Bear-Track Outfitters in Grand Marais (lots around Ely and up the Gunflint, of course).

I assume ice won't be an issue by then, but if it is, just bring a couple ski poles and push your way to open water :lol:
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Fonix,
Here is a checklist you can use as a reference. There is a lot on this list and of course you can't take everything listed, but it gives you an idea to make your own list from what are essentials according to you. The plus side of canoe camping is you can bring A LOT more gear than hiking. Also I would like to add that a portage pack is a lot different than a backpacking pack. It allows you to store more gear. Yes, it will be heavier but you will have it in the canoe most of the time. The portages will be the hardest part in my opinion so a kevlar canoe is a big plus. Your route sounds great!

If I were to paddle this route, I would allow 6 days, especially for a first time canoe trip. With that said, I still think you could do it in 5. If you choose 5 days, I would highly recommend getting an early start each day.

This would be my plan of campsites if I were to choose 5 days for this route.

Day 1 McCargoe Cove
Day 2 Lake Richie Canoe Campsite
Day 3 Wood Lake
Day 4 Lake Whittlesey
Day 5 Chippewa Harbor

The plus of starting early in the day is the winds are usually calmer when on the lake. The reason I would say 6 days is that it would give you a "layover day" to just stay put at a campsite for a day of relaxing instead of always being on the go. Wood Lake would be a great spot for a layover day, as would Chippewa Harbor. Also with canoe trips, sometimes the wind will dictate if you have a layover day as well. If it is above 15mph on a steady basis, I would stay put and wait for it to calm before paddling. That water is going to be ice cold still in May so don't take any unnecessary risks.

Have a great trip and look forward to a trip report when you get back! Oh, and don't forget a waterproof case for your camera! I learned the hard way on my first BWCA solo trip.

Here are a few links to help plan.....

http://www.quietjourney.com/lists/index.html

http://www.quietjourney.com/lists/list_c.html

http://www.quietjourney.com/boundarywat ... afety.html
"The Island Is Calling"
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

fonix,
glad you are taking the "plunge" (so to speak) :) .
Tricia will be taking the Voyageur on the 23rd also, meeting me in RH.
We are getting dropped off at Malone on the 24th. It would be fun to see you if you elect to go to Malone and get picked up there. Just a thought.
You will have agreat trip nonetheless!!!!
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

The only glitch in this plan is that there are nesting pairs of loons (not JohnH and Co.) in the creek between McCargo Cove and W. Chickenbone. In the past, no paddling has been allowed and you would have to portage from the McCargo Cove dock to the W. Chickenbone put in. The no paddling warnings usually go up about the time you will be there.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Fonix, you're going to love it.

Nick's mention about the creek at McCargoe doesn't add too much walking considering the amount of time you wind around that creek.

It is definitely doable in 5 days. It's possible to do it in two days, but that would be silly. I agree with Moss on the campgrounds, although I would consider night one at Chickenbone instead of McCargoe (because it gets one more portage out of the way on a day with several portages).

I've done this route a couple times now, and I'm excited for you. The paddling scenery is amazing, such a different view from backpacking, and it seems to get better every day. Someone mentioned that you can carry more weight, and he's right. Don't get too carried away, but last year I brought lawn chairs (super-light ones) and they were such a treat.

Will you fish?

Have a great time.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, this is why I said this itinerary is "tentative." We already have to postpone our trip because of a date conflict. :(

We're still planning on doing this itinerary, but the dates have changed. So thanks very much for the feedback...it's good to know our time frame will work for this trip :)
Hikerken
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Hikerken »

This is a GREAT post with responses. My hiking partner and I are in the exact same situation as fonixmumkee and were thinking the same thing (rent a canoe and do the exact same route as mentioned). Thank you all for the information. I am going to print this topic out and save it for next spring when we plan to do this same thing.

Thank You,
Life is short so try everytihing at least once, If you like it do it again.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

What does it cost to rent a canoe? Is it cheaper than what the VII charges to strap one on and bring it to and from the island?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

philranger wrote:What does it cost to rent a canoe? Is it cheaper than what the VII charges to strap one on and bring it to and from the island?
$38/day or $202/week at the R.H. lodge. I believe they're all aluminum. $31 each way to transport on the VII. What I've seen at the lodge didn't have good yokes or yoke pads. Fine for paddling around Tobin & Rock Harbors, but not anything I'd want to portage--at least at my age and shape :) .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Aluminum canoes.....evil.......evil....evil.... Kevlar= Happy Time :D
"The Island Is Calling"
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Canoes....evil...evil...evil.... Kayaks, good! 8)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Hey all,

The original May dates didn't work out because of scheduling conflicts, but we've got new dates. The trip remains unchanged itself, so appreciate the feedback.

Monday, 1 Jun 09: VII to McCargoe, -> Chickenbone (1 mile portage)
Tuesday, 2 Jun 09: Chickenbone to Lake Richie (1.2 mile portage)
Wed, 3 Jun 09: Lake Richie to Intermediate Lake (.6 mile portage)
Thurs, 4 Jun 09: Intermediate Lake to Wood Lake (.4 mile portage)
Friday, 5 Jun 09: Wood Lake to Lake Whitelsey (.6 mile portage)
Saturday, 6 Jun 09: Whitelsey to Chippewa Harbor (.6 mile portage)
Sunday, 7 Jun 09: VII from Chippewa back to Grand Portage and Sven & Ole's (no portage)

Anyone have any comments on these portages? I haven't been in a canoe in a long time. Should be interesting.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I'm excited for you guys. You're going to have a blast. Here's what I remember of those portages.

McCargoe to Chickenbone: the first portage is the hardest, but it will get your legs and shoulders prepared. It's a rolling portage. It's not all that bad.

Chickenbone to Richie: Isn't this really three portages broken up? At least they are broken up. The last one felt like the longest of all the portages too. Wicked hill. But the Richie campsite is worth it and the fishing is great there.

Richie to Intermediate: After yesterday, this will feel like nothing. I've not camped at Intermediate. It's a nice lake, but it's not far to get to Wood Lake from here either, which wouldn't be a bad place to spend two days.

to wood Lake: This felt long to me, but it was our second of the day. Last year a wolf followed us along this portage. As we were loading our boats on Siskiwit Lake he came within 20 feet, sprayed a tree and disappeared into the bushes. Now the paddling gets really great, if you don't think it is already. I love the short ride through all the little islands along Siskiwit's eastern shore here. The islands provide nice shelter if it's windy. Wood Lake makes a great campsite.

to Whittlesey: I honestly don't remember much about this portage. Maybe that means it was painful. But I dig Lake Whittlesey and its campground.

to Chippewa Harbor: A little hilly, but who cares? It's your lat one. enjoy it. More great paddling through the Harbor.

It's an awesome trip. Hope you have a great time.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Thanks for your response, KevinL! The detailed report makes me feel a little better about the portages.

Not sure about the Chickenbone to Richie. According to the map we have, it's one portage, but I'll double-check now. Thanks for the heads-up.