Itinerary for Feedback for First Time IR Backpackers!

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

gajcapfam
NewbieCake

Itinerary for Feedback for First Time IR Backpackers!

Post by gajcapfam »

Hi - I was hoping for some feedback on an itinerary we were thinking for early August this year. My husband and I are very seasoned day-hikers with some backpacking experience (we've done a few multi-night trips). We're in our mid-thirties and in good shape. This is our first time to Isle Royale and after reading a bunch of the itineraries here, we are wondering if we are being too ambitious with the following plan:

-Day 1: Fly into Rock Harbor, pick up permit, Water Taxi to Chippewa Harbor, Camp in Chippewa Harbor
-Day 2: Chippewa Harbor to Moskey Basin, (6.2 mi)
-Day 3: Moskey Basin to Lane Cove (11 mi)
-Day 4: Lane Cove to Rock Harbor (6.9 mi). Either fly out late Day 4 or morning of Day 5.

We aren't super fixed to anything - looking for a 3-4 night itinerary and were trying to hit Lane Cove as it was a favorite of a friend when they did their trip a few years ago. Also will likely be flying as I get very sea-sick and a long ferry sounds like a recipe for a rough start to a hiking trip.

Would appreciate any thoughts on if this is too aggressive (11 miles would be a long day for us with packs, but we did 7-8 mi/day no trail backpacking in Denali last summer so we thought it in the realm of possibility) and if it is, any recommendations on an alternative! Thanks in advance
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Itinerary for Feedback for First Time IR Backpackers!

Post by dcclark »

Welcome! Flying is fast, but prone to delay, even of a day or more. So you will need a backup plan in case delays mean you can't catch your water taxi to Chippewa Harbor on the first day.

There are ways around this, for example, you could save a lot of money and take the Voyageur II instead of the water taxi. That means taking an extra day (since the Voyageur leaves Rock Harbor around 8 am), and you'd have to carefully plan so that the Voyageur will be in Rock Harbor when you need it. I've done this before, and it works well.

But my bigger advice is: If you only have 3-4 nights, then don't waste time on a water taxi. Instead, do a loop on foot around the east end. For example:

- Day 1: Fly in, hike to 3 Mile or Daisy Farm (depending on how early you arrive).
- Day 2: Hike to Moskey, enjoy a break, or do a day hike to Lake Richie.
- Day 3: Moskey to Lane Cove (this would be a long day, but doable).
- Day 4: Return to Rock Harbor.

I'd also suggest reducing some of the lengths. Isle Royale can really wear on new backpackers - the constant up and down can make you miserable. For example, instead of Moskey to Lane Cove, you could reverse your route and go back to Daisy Farm or 3 Mile (whichever one you didn't see on the first day). Do day hikes up to the Greenstone and Mt. Ojibway. Then return to Rock Harbor the "long" way, by going up on the Greenstone past Mt. Franklin.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

It sounds like a good plan to me. Enjoy the sunrise at Moskey, then hit the trail early. Be sure to have enough water when you leave the lake shore at Daisy Farm--there won't be any more until Lane Cove (except beaver ponds when you're almost there). Plan a longer break at Mt Franklin--beautiful views on a rock outcropping (hopefully not in the clouds/fog). I would plan to stay in Rock Harbor the last night--the hike to Scoville Pt is beautiful, flat and easy, especially without a pack. That also gives you some leeway if things are weather delayed at the start. And why leave earlier than you have to :)!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

A couple non-itinerary points:
Figure out your travel plans ASAP. I had trouble getting flights 2 months ago for my end of July trip.
"Pick up permit" can take a loooong time depending on when you arrive in Rock Harbor. Don't plan on hitting the trail or scheduling a taxi close to your arrival time.

The itinerary itself sounds ok. As you pointed out the 11 miles can be a long day and from my recollection the last ~2 miles into Lane Cove will be the most difficult of the 11.
I'd be inclined to take dcclarks advice and maybe do less miles and have more time to enjoy.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

S_R_L wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:05 am from my recollection the last ~2 miles into Lane Cove will be the most difficult of the 11.
From my own recollection the last mile into Lane Cove is the longest three miles of the day, however long I've been hiking. And it's mostly downhill!

If you're already at Chippewa Harbor, I'd recommend spending a day there to explore the area before taking off elsewhere.

Unless your mission is to keep moving. Then carry on!
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
gajcapfam
NewbieCake

Post by gajcapfam »

Thank you all! Itinerary adjusted to reduce the long day hike and booked our flights. Excited to experience!
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

Kelly wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:11 pm
S_R_L wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:05 am from my recollection the last ~2 miles into Lane Cove will be the most difficult of the 11.
From my own recollection the last mile into Lane Cove is the longest three miles of the day, however long I've been hiking. And it's mostly downhill!
Truer words never spoken.
I don’t know what it is, maybe that you can hear and occasionally see the lake?
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs