favorite trail and campsite

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

favorite trail and campsite

Post by JerryB »

Traffic on the forum has definitely slowed in recent years (Wish i could say the same about traffic on the island!). So here is my attempt to gin up some discussion. What is your favorite (1)trail, or trail section, and (2) campground? I will start it off.

(1) This may be cheating because it is a day-hike trail, but i would pick the Stoll Trail to Scoville Point. Very dramatic out towards Scoville Point.
(2) This is a hard one, i like so many! Lane Cove was very special, but that may be because i was the only human there and i saw a wolf. McCargo is great, especially the boulders on the lake just through group site 1, and Moskey and Chipeewa are great too. I suppose the rule should be that we must pick just one so i somewhat arbitrarily vote for Lane Cove.

Enjoy the debate!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: favorite trail and campsite

Post by dcclark »

Nice topic, Jerry.

(1) Is a no-brainer for me: The short stretch of the Mt. Franklin trail just south of the junction with Tobin Harbor, down to Rock Harbor. The trail winds between boulders, through a quiet evergreen grove that feels like it could be out of a fairytale, and then runs through a couple of open glades that are straight out of fairytales, and finishes with that dramatic bedrock downhill, overlooking the lake the whole way.

Other trails are more picturesque, more dramatic, have cliffs or run along the lake or any other number of things. But that short stretch of the Mt. Franklin trail always feels magical to me.

(2) Moskey is my favorite for the positions of the shelters overlooking the bay, plus the sunrises, all despite the fact that I once spent 36 hours of solid rain stuck in one of those shelters.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

There are so many trails that, for one reason or another, are nice trails. The same goes for campsites. But, if you force me to distill them all down to only one of each, my picks would be:
Trail - Feldtmann Loop
Campsite - Huginnin Cove

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Fav trail: the last 10 yards of the Tobin-Duncan portage! :D Either end, doesn't matter, can't beat the relief of seeing water at the end and knowing you can finally put down the canoe. Backpacking, probably the middle section of Siskiwit to Feldtmann, some really pretty spots along the beaver pond, a little stream, open meadows, the firetower, and of course, the ridge overlooking Feldtmann Lake.

Fav campground: for years I've said Belle Isle, but it's been a little busier the last couple times. I think it really depends on the trip for me, especially when they're empty. Some fav memories are watching a moose swim across the channel at Merritt Lane in the pre-dawn light, dramatic pink sunset over Round Island at Pickerel Cove, waves crashing on the lake side beach of Caribou Island, watching the sunrise from the rocks at Three Mile with my daughter, and, um, even Island Mine--there was something about being cold and wet and completely alone in the middle of the woods and successfully getting a fire going that was so satisfying, even if it really didn't provide much relief.

Ooops, violated your rule, just one? Let's say Merritt Lane... for today :D . And Scoville Pt trail.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

It’s hard to get into an argument on this topic. I agree with everyone!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

impossible questions, but:

trail: from hidden lake dock up to lookout louise (a choice that sneaks in the canoeing necessary to reach the trailhead)

campground: Feldtmann Lake! It's true, my site was basically an outdoor anteroom to the campground outhouse---but the nonstop moose traffic, and option of a jaunt to rainbow cove, more than compensated
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Lots of good choices, but I would put out there for consideration: campsite Todd Harbor, and trail, the section of the Greenstone running from after the big climb west of Chickenbone Junction for about the next 1.5 miles west, because of the open views of the east and central Island.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

It's like asking someone which of their children is their favorite.

There's the coziness of Island Mine, enhanced by a campfire and friends; being tucked into a shelter at Malone Bay while gale force winds blow; loons at sunset near the groups campsites at South Lake Desor; the springtime cacophony of sandhill cranes flying overhead at Siskiwit Bay; the silent nocturnal swimming of a beaver or otter carving the surface of the water at Moskey Basin; the autumn days of solitude at Belle Isle.

Day hiking the Huginnin Cove Loop could be my favorite hike, and I do love the Tobin Harbor Trail.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
treeplanter
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Favorite trail: probably the westbound section of the Minong from McCargoe Cove to Otter Lake, mainly because Otter Lake just appears out of nowhere. You have no idea the lake is there until you find yourself on a ridge a few hundred feet above it.

Favorite campground. Probably Malone, mainly for sentimental reasons.
churchill330
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by churchill330 »

JerryB wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:10 pm Traffic on the forum has definitely slowed in recent years (Wish i could say the same about traffic on the island!).
My thoughts exactly.

Favorite Trail: Minong Trail between N. Desor and Little Todd. Rugged and Beautiful. It gives me the feeling that I look for when I visit, that I am so Far away From Everything.!!
Honorable mention: Rock Harbor Trail between Rock Harbor and Three Mile. The Views of the harbor, a great way to start a trip.

Favorite campsite: Tough one but Huginnin Cove is a great place to spend the day.
Honorable Mention: West Chickenbone. Some campsites just give you a Feeling. This one just has it for me.