Jetboil stove + seaplane transport = no fuel -- Solution?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

mrgpk
NewbieCake

Jetboil stove + seaplane transport = no fuel -- Solution?

Post by mrgpk »

Hello all,
Awesome forum, can't wait to dig around more.

I'm taking my first trip to IR 8/15-8/22. I plan on taking my battle hardened Jetboil with me. There is no fuel sold on the island and it is prohibited on the plane.

How do I solve this conundrum? Can I arrange for a shipment of fuel via ferry to be waiting for my arrival? Is there still time for that?

I've got cooking and cleaning optimized and down to a science with that thing and I'd hate to have to buy and learn new gear just for this trip. Any help is appreciated!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Jetboil stove + seaplane transport = no fuel -- Solution?

Post by DonNewcomb »

OK. The Jetboil is an isobutane stove. Right? What is the difference between the Jetboil canister and the Primus isobutane canister they sell at RH?
mrgpk
NewbieCake

Post by mrgpk »

DonNewcomb wrote:OK. The Jetboil is an isobutane stove. Right? What is the difference between the Jetboil canister and the Primus isobutane canister they sell at RH?
DOH! I'm thinking that was a rhetorical question, no? (a good one though!) There's no difference. Right? =)

Man, I'm not sure why I brain-blocked that one. I grabbed an MSR fuel can in a rush for another trip and when I tested it out, it seemed to burn differently (not jet like more sterno like). So I scratched the idea of ever using anything but pure JB fuel for it.

After reading your comment, ran down in the basement and fired it up on the MSR can and it burned beautifully! Life is good.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Well for sure I have not kept up with all the recent changes in LP stoves. Based on the information I see here http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#CanisterTypes, it looks like they are all "universal EN417" canisters. But maybe there are differences in fuel that I don't understand. Also, I have not been there to check them. I just talked with they guy who answered the phone.
mrgpk
NewbieCake

Post by mrgpk »

Bought a can of Primus 4-season fuel and it seemed to work fine with the Jetboil. Maybe a little slower, but that could just be perception.

I guess I just will have to buy a bit more than I had planned on.

Did anyone else have any experience with this?