Devil's club

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

LKS88
NewbieCake

Devil's club

Post by LKS88 »

Hello,

There is a plant that grows on the island called devil's club. Has anyone ever seen it before or know a particular spot on the island that it grows? thanks

http://labor.state.ak.us/ada/parks/regi ... 20evil.jpg
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Devil's club

Post by Midwest Ed »

If you do not get an answer, check the "sticky" link just above for the Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association.

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1093

It seems they are sponsoring a botany workshop on the Island this June. The botanist, Janet Marr is leading the workshop. I bet she could help you.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

It grows on Passage Island, nasty stuff.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Blake Point.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

According to "Island Life: An Isle Royale Nature Guide" by Todd Gostomski and Janet Marr (who is leading the workshop) Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridus): "...Some devil's-club grows near the northeastern end of the island on Blake Point and several offshore islands, but is most abundant on Passage Island.... On the island it is found in boreal forests and moist upland forests, often in gullies, and it flowers in late June to early July."
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

What's interesting about this particular weed is that it grows in only a few places east of the Rockies.

From Wikipedia:
This species usually grows in moist, dense forest habitats, and is most abundant in old growth conifer forests. It is found from south-central Alaska to western Oregon and eastward to western Alberta and Montana. Disjunct native populations also occur over 1,500 kilometres (930 mi) away in Lake Superior on Isle Royale and Passage Island, Michigan and Porphyry Island and Slate Island, Ontario.
I have a 28 year-old Geology book that mentions it on Isle Royale being the only place it was found east of the Rockies. Perhaps it is spreading...
LKS88
NewbieCake

Post by LKS88 »

Wow thanks for all the replies. I have a condition and need inner bark from devil's club for a remedy. No one has it online; they only sell the root bark which is completely different than the inner bark. I live near Petoskey and cannot make it up there. I wish it grew near me but it is only found in MI on Isle Royale (see wiki page). I don't know if anyone who lives on the island has this stuff growing nearby them but if anyone could harvest a few canes and mail them to me I would be very happy to pay you for your effort and shipping. I know that they would be dormant and leafless this time of year but it does not matter. If anyone could help please let me know. Thanks, Luke
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

[quote="LKS88I don't know if anyone who lives on the island has this stuff growing nearby them but if anyone could harvest a few canes and mail them to me I would be very happy to pay you for your effort and shipping. I know that they would be dormant and leafless this time of year but it does not matter. If anyone could help please let me know. Thanks, Luke[/color][/quote]
It is my understanding that the harvest of the above would be against Park regulations. You might contact the Park Service to explain your situation.

John
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

There's lots of it out West, which would be the better option.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Nabatea
NewbieCake

Post by Nabatea »

Devil's Club is a threatened plant and only grows west of the Rockies and on Isle Royale. Please do not harvest from a national park and contribute to the disappearance of this amazing plant!

The root system of Devil's Club is often interconnected, so harvesting a single plant can destroy much of the stand. The trick is to harvest the youngest plant in the stand whose roots don't feed any other plants, but that can be difficult to determine.

There are plenty of herbal manufacturers from which to purchase this plant, who procure their Devil's Club from areas where it is much more abundant (like the Pacific Northwest). My favorite source is Pharmacopia Herbals in Eugene, Oregon. Their Devil's Club tincture is made from only the inner bark, and it the most potent I have found. If you simply must make your own please email the company and see if they will provide you with the raw herb instead. This company is exceptionally serious about their impact on the health of the plant stands and the surrounding ecosystem.

Direct link to Pharmacopia Herbal's Devil's Club tincture:
http://www.pharmacopiaherbals.com/store ... tId=357596